Friday, October 2, 2009

Snakes and Intruders (or are they the same)

So, it was cold enough here yesterday that I had to break down and light a fire. It was 61 degrees in the house and Andrew and Samuel were frozen. Out to the woodpile I went. As I lifted the first logs of the season I discovered 3 or 4 baby snakes hiding out under the wood. Anyone who knows me well knows that snakes are not my friends. I don't like them. I acknowledge the need for their existence and am grateful for all the critters that don't continue on in this life because of them, but I still don't like them - at all. Starting around midnight I had horrifying nightmares about snakes in my woodpile. Usually I can just tell myself, "It was just a dream, it's not real." However, this time it was real - there really are snakes in our woodpile. So all night long I have been dreaming about these snakes. It was a very disturbed sleep and poor Adam had to put up with my jumping out of bed and starting awake all night. That is until he heard some very suspicious noises from outside. He went to the window and told me to dial 911. Four people were standing outside our house. One of them was walking around to the back, they were all dressed in dark clothing. Flashbacks to last fall when a guy walked up the basement stairs into our kitchen raced through my head. I called 911 and they sent out the police. Adam and I huddled for a minute or two just watching these people imagining the worst. What did they want...we're totally outnumbered...will the police get here in time...sshh don't be to loud, we don't want them to take off before the police get here...should we have bought a gun last fall...even if we had, one against four isn't good odds...

Then we hear - "It's Alexia!" Relief flooded our systems. We ran downstairs to let in Alexia and her friends who had stopped on their way up to Maine for a little rest. We actually knew they were coming but had totally forgotten about it - things don't make much sense at 4am. We greeted everyone as they entered. I had stayed on the phone with 911 and was able to tell them right away everything was all right. I saw the police cruiser pass by as everyone filed in. We were safe the whole time but despite that sleep has not come easily to me this night. I'm a little wound up while exhausted at the same time. I decided to come do something productive instead of lying in my bed waiting for sleep to come (it probably would be riddled with snakes if it did come, snakes and intruders, one in the same :-)).

7 comments:

Catherine Faux said...

hahaha! That is hilarious! I am not a fan of snakes either...or friends coming to visit at 4 a.m.

THE GREEN MandMS said...

Great Story that is hilarious.

Robyn said...

I'm so sorry about the snakes and sleep deprivation...but its kind of funny. Maybe calling the police when Alexia comes around is good idea!

Alicia said...

That is scary. What a crazy night

DeAnn said...

I don't think it's funny. I hate snakes. I don't hate Alexia though so that part is pretty funny. I hope you sleep well tonight.

Nancy said...

Let's see . . . baby snakes, and Alexia--both harmless in the end. Weren't they the least little bit cute?

Annelise said...

Olivia would have loved the snakes, and maybe Alexia too.