Thursday, January 27, 2011

Extra Curricular Activity

I think my friend Britt, who moved here last summer with her family, put it best when she said, "We finally figured out that school here is an extra-curricular activity." After no snow in December I thought we were going to get away with an easy winter. However, this being our fourth snow day in 3 weeks, I must admit I was wrong. When you move here you just think to yourself, "Snow happens all over the world and people deal with it, what's the deal with New England?" Everything comes to a stand still. We woke up to 3 inches on Tuesday (still had school), no big deal right? WRONG! What is normally a 25-30 minute commute took Adam 90 minutes!! School buses were late picking up children and everything was a disaster. I don't know what it is, but I do know it's how it is and there is nothing I can do to change it. So think of us New Englanders in the lovely month of June when your children are enjoying the summer months. At this point, school will extend to June 21.


Here is our predicted 3-5 inches of snow. I often wonder what would happen if doctors were as precise as weathermen.

Adam and the boys spent an hour shoveling this morning. Sam was pretty smart and opted to wait until the shoveling was done and then headed outside to play. I'm sure if the other boys knew that was an option they would have chosen (however, it wasn't for them). Adam said the boys asked if the baby was going to have to help shovel and then were utterly dismayed to figure out that by the time she's old enough to help, Joshua and Jacob probably won't even be at home.




These are the piles on the side of our ever shrinking driveway.



The picture below is from Monday. On Monday the high was 4 degrees. That's right, 4 degrees. When I put Joshua and Jacob on the bus at 8:45 it was still -8. When I dropped Andrew off at 12:30 we had just hit zero. The picture below is of Andrew's beach day at school, which was on Monday. I hope you are all catching the irony here. All the kids wore their beach clothing, brought beach toys, goggles, etc. The preschool cranked up the heat and brought in a bunch of sand (can you imagine the clean - up? - just one of the reasons I LOVE this preschool), and let the kids have fun in the sun, or at least the heat.



5 comments:

Annelise said...

What a cute preschool! In Pocatello when it snows like that it is a bit different. We have about 1/16 of the people to bus/drive to work/school.

DeAnn said...

That is A LOT of snow! Wow. Won't you be in Utah in June while the rest of New England is going to school?

Adam Green said...

Yeah, we're trying not to rub it in :-).

Robyn said...

I like the mental picture of your little baby girl shoveling snow with the boys...I wonder how helpful they think she could be?
I'm always a little confused by when they cancel school around here. They seem more likely to cancel for temperature and wind than for piles of snow...

Alicia said...

I love the pictures of your kids playing. You have a ton of snow. I thought we had a lot and we do for oklahoma but that is amazing. I love Andrews picture. That is so cute.